Sunday, January 15, 2012

First Drive on New Batteries

New batteries are holding up so far. My estimates give me about 30+ miles per charge, I think it may go farther when the weather warms up.

SUCCESS! It drives.
I ran into a few mechanical hiccups as is expected with an older vehicle, but in general, for a vehicle that has been Idle for 4+ years, it is running fantastic. the vehicle does have a audio system on board , but I've resolved myself to not turn on radio for first month or so of driving; not only to extend range, but also to fully get my attention on the vehicle. Get to know the sounds, the turning, the feel of the vehicle. It really is exhilerating.

Thing that I've noticed and will get accustomed to:

* People like to take pictures of it
* if the person pulls right up to your bumper, it's not them being impolite, it's them getting a better look at the vehicle.
* They aren't honking at you.. more of a "with" you, affirmatively.
* Defensive driving
* Having a crowd around the vehicle


I am planning on getting a ChargePoint account which allow me to use the public Charging Stations. (it's fantastic)

I'd been debating for a while what to expect while driving the vehicle around.What would people do. Would people follow me? What questions will they have? Is it possible to give a ride to Everyone?
It's all happening now and it's going to be exciting.

It really comes down to being honest, giving people facts and bring them out of the "Shock" of seeing it. Everyone goes back to being a little kid when they see it. I've heard multiple people say " it looks like a _____" .... In my mind, it looks like a TWIKE.

Few fun photos of getting it out and about:

Everyone needs to inspect it


Also changed the tires on it because it had been sitting for a while: 

It's a pretty simple task to replace the tires, once again, refer to the TWIKE MANUAL.

Basics: 
*leave the back wheels on, and jack the back side up one at a time. -> Change tire
*Jack the front up, remove the bolt, but make sure to know where the washers are before you take them out(take a pic). 


No comments:

Post a Comment