Thursday, May 30, 2013

Upgrades

I ran into battery troubles just before summer 2012.
In the fall I was fortunate enough to drive TW433 up in Illinois and fell in love with the reliability and ease of driving with Lithium-Ion ( LION) batteries.

I saved up for the batteries and in the mean time I decided to upgrade the audio system and install LED tail lights.

The batteries got ordered. With my busy schedule, it took me some time to get them installed. Within the last week, I finished all upgrades and took it for a test drive. I fell in love with driving the TWIKE again. 


New batteries arrive:


There are 7 "cells" per battery pack. They come labeled with " Batterie Box 1/7, Batterie Box 2/7, ... etc". the wireing on them is very clever as to only allow the batteries to be wired so that they cannot be shorted out.


Wires are just long enough to connect two together, but short enough to not connect positive to  negative. 


New battery install:
 It was done with some major assistance and a steep learning curve,  but it really was pretty straightforward. I am willing to help if anyone decides to do so.


New software install

Before running the vehicle, the new software needs to be installed to give the proper charging algorithm and battery capacity to the vehicle:


Configure and verify settings.


Air up the tires
- Per the Manual it is going to be 4-5 Bar ( 58-73 PSI)
-- I usually run on the high side to get best MPGe

Go for a drive.



Tis a good day for TWIKE'n


2 comments:

  1. That's wicked, Pablo. Btw, I saw a working twike on the streets of Zürich not but 1 month ago. Unfortunately, no phone to take pictures. The thing was quiet as a twinkle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, tried to email you! I have a Twike in Los Angeles and its on it's 2nd set of batteries and wanted to make the jump to the LION. Would like to chat! I tried to email you through Twike's website.

    ReplyDelete